Removing the gland nut

Feb. 6, 2010


I wanted to replace the main seal -but it required the gland nut to be removed.  Ok no problem I'll just get the correct socket and breaker bar. Then I found that this is has the larger gland nut that is torqued to 400+ lb pounds...

So after a little search on thesamba.com - I found the 'Torque Dude" tool - which is designed to remove the gland nut- by a 9 to 1 ratio -so to put 400 lbs you only need to torque about 44 lbs.
But one issue -the tool is make for the standard 36mm bolt - and mine has the 38mm bolt!  --- ARGGG

Ok after a little more searching I found someone on thesamba.com that could build me the conversion socket required to get this done - here are the tools:




Here the tool in action (also you need a flywheel lock to keep the flywheel from moving)
At first I thought it wasn't going to work.  I used the PB spray and waited a little while - then try again.  Heard a snap and I thought the racket or socket broke... but no... the bolt came free and I got it removed!!!




Happy day!






 
More resources:

http://www.vw-resource.com/gland_nut.html

No comments: